Joe and Anthony Russo, the directors behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War, as well as both Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, aren’t planning to return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe any time soon.
The brothers spoke to Variety about their experience working with Marvel on those films, and said the two are still in conversations with the comic book movie studio, but still want to put some distance between themselves and 2019’s Endgame. To the point where they say they have no plans to return to the MCU until 2030, at the earliest.
Joe Russo told Variety:
“We’re always talking; we’d need to see what would work. We won’t be ready to do anything with Marvel until the end of the decade.”
Check out the full interview here.
In the time since Endgame, the Russo brothers have worked as directors, writers, and producers on other films, from directing the middling Gray Man on Netflix, to producing Everything Everywhere All At Once.
Marvel studios is currently working its way up to the next Avengers films: The Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars, set to premiere in theaters on May 2, 2025 and May 1, 2026 after Disney pushed several MCU projects last month. The former will be directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, who previously directed Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings last year.
The next movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which is premiering in theaters on November 11.